With the unhoused population of DC experiencing significant vulnerability during the COVID-19 pandemic and with temperatures dropping as we move into the winter months, the officers of the Ward 6 Democrats signed onto a letter organized by the National Conference of Black Lawyers calling on Mayor Bowser and the DC Council to take action. We believe that every member of our community deserves a safe place to call home.
Solutions urged within the letter include:
- Fully implement the Vacant to Virus Reduction Plan
- Stop encampment destruction
- Provide more rent subsidies
- Provide personal property storage
- Provide for basic hygienic needs of the unhoused
- Provide for basic medical needs
You can read the full letter here.