The Ward 6 Democrats urgently need five or six – or more – volunteers to form a Steering Committee to flesh out our Women of Ward 6/Suffrage Centennial Project. 2020 is the centennial of the passage of the 19th amendment, which gave women the right to vote. We are working with the National Woman's Party (https://www.nationalwomansparty.org/) on the centennial celebration.
Potential projects include:
- Working in collaboration with DC’s Office of Women, other city-wide and neighborhood civic organizations, the National Woman’s Party, the Metropolitan Women’s Democratic Club, Ward 6 Young Dems, Congressional Cemetery, Capitol Hill Restoration Society, and other groups on the year-long celebration.
- Advocating for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution.
- Working with Ward 6 schools to plan events in the coming year to celebrate the Centennial, which may include developing school curriculum for next fall.
- Recognizing notable Women of Ward 6 (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y5PVTMY), including planning a March launch event.
- Supporting and participating in the Race to Ratification 5K, Sunday, June 9, which is being sponsored by Congressional Cemetery and the National Woman’s Party.
- Planning participation in the July 4 Capitol Hill parade.
If this sounds like something that would interest you and you can spare a few hours a week, please contact Marci Hilt at [email protected] for more information or to sign up for this important steering committee.